Friday, January 7, 2011

How Can I Change?

How much can you hold out of bad streaks in life? Some falls back to the security of their loved ones who offers support, some to the chemicals that made us euphoric and some just broke down that leads to suicidal thoughts or even action. What is exactly the factor of our whole being? Well, base on my own understanding of human psychology and from my reading of other famous motivational gurus' books, here goes.

We have our own beliefs system that supports our being. Imagine pillars. Each pillar represents a reason to our beliefs. For example, if a student thinks that he's smart, talented and well-liked, his pillars will be like this:

Pillar 1: I'm always top 10 in my school academically
Pillar 2: I was told by my parents and teachers that I'm talented
Pillar 3: Everybody likes to hang-out with me

These pillars can be anything which reinforce our being. It can be a blatant lie that the person created himself/herself or something that he/she perceived to be true but in actual fact it's not, or it can be from real life experiences.
So, what happens when tragedy befell him/her? A tragedy can be something like eg:

Tragedy 1: I'm no longer top 10 in school
Tragedy 2 : There is somebody who can sing better than me or was told by a judge in competition
Tragedy 3: I started hearing bad rumours about me from my friends's friend

These will lead to the breaking of the pillars that support our whole self being. Then our mind will naturally puts up a counter-measure to fall back to the closest pillar that makes us comfortable. It also can be an existing or a totally new pillar created during that incident of breaking. For instance using the example above:

Counter-measure 1: But I'm more mature in thinking then most
Counter-measure 2: But I'm still more talented because I know how to play musical instruments
Counter-measure 3: Nah, that guy who bad-mouth me always bad-mouthing someone else.

See, in our life our mind will be constantly creating and accumulating new pillars to replace broken ones. So, when all these counter-measure pillars are broken till the mind can no longer create new lies or accumulate experiences as a pillar, then the person's whole self-being is being challenged, and he/she will break down.

Now, why do I share this is because that's exactly how God break us, and after we're down to our lowest point and accepted the reality, then he can mould us and nuture us back to an even better person. Of course you can use this method negatively but beware because with knowledge, comes power and responsibility. (Spiderman) 

Here's a person who is very good with psychology. I personally have not read Personal Power but have read his Awaken The Giant Within. So whatever I'm sharing here is from the understanding of a few other authors and my own life experiences. If you find this topic interesting, you might wanna give it a click.

No comments:

Post a Comment